When you’re away from home, it can be a challenge to stick with your regular exercise routine. And no time of year is more challenging than the holidays in November and December! To keep active with an on-the-go fitness routine, personal trainer Larry Horner suggests the following exercises that target strength, cardio fitness, balance and flexibility. No equipment necessary — all you need is a location with space that will accommodate your movement!
1. Jumping jacks or run/jog in place: 3 sets of 25 jumping jacks or run/jog in place for a length of time you’re comfortable with. Try to work at 70/85 percent of heart rate max. Running has been shown to help with depression and boost brain function.
2. Body weight squats: 3 sets of 15. Squats builds hip strength and range of motion.
Start with feet at least shoulder width apart. Use hip hinge to sit back (like you are going to sit on a chair) and squat down until thighs are parallel to the floor.
3. Push up plank: 3 sets of 5. Hold plank for 30 to 60 seconds. The plank integrates all of the core muscles.
Start in a push up position and lower to elbows to an elbow plank, hold. Tighten your core and keep the back straight. Return to the push up position. Repeat.
4. Walking lunges: 3 sets of 10. Lunges build knee strength and hip range of motion. Focus on form and balance. Walking lunges use more muscles but lunges can be done in a stationary position.
With feet together, step out with one foot. Bend front knee to a 90 degree position, make sure the knee does not go past the toe. Push through the heel to return to the starting position. Repeat with the other leg.
5. Step up to one leg balance and hold: 3 sets of 10 reps per leg. Use stairs, or this also can be done in a stationary position. Step onto stair and lift one leg, hold for 10 sec. Repeat with other leg. Tighten your core and focus on balance.
That’s it! If you try this routine during your next getaway, let us know how it serves you!
Interested in scheduling a personal training session with Larry Horner? Please contact Preston Will at 540-825-0000 or firstname.lastname@example.org